The National Behaviour Support Service (NBSS) provides support and expertise to partner post primary schools on issues related to behaviour.
We in St. Dominic’s are happy to have this service within our school community to support and encourage students to behave responsibility so that there is a happy and safe teaching and learning environment for all.
Level 1:School wide support for all students
Level 2: Targeted intervention for some students
Level 3:Intensive, individualized support for a few students
The Phoenix Room is the name given to our Behaviour Support Classroom (BSC)
Behaviour Support Classroom (BSC) is one element of the NBSS Level 3 support that provides intensive, individualised and comprehensive interventions designed to meet the needs of a small number of students. Our BSC provides support to students who may experience any number or combination of significant challenges to their learning, they receive valuable individual attention.
Students are referred to the BSC when their behaviour significantly interferes with teaching and learning in the majority of their subject classes.
Positive Behaviour Strategy Team (PBST) Supporting School-wide Positive Behaviour
Our PBST is formed by representative of senior management, teaching staff and support staff. The aim of the PBST to promote positive behaviour and learning by focusing on developing:
- Behaviour for Learning Skills
- Social and Emotional Literacy Skills
- Academic Literacy, Learning and Study Skills
- Positive Health and Wellbeing Skills
The NBSS has provided continuous professional development to our staff in the following area:
- Rules, Routines & Expectations
- Rewards and Consequences
- Organisational Skills
- Peer Mentoring
- Peer Conflict and Anger Management
- Explicit Teaching of Social Skills
- Explicit Teaching of Reading and Comprehension Skills
- Explicit Teaching of Learning and Study Skills
- Developing Writing Skills
- Adolescent Literacy Programmes and Resources
- Strategies for Encouraging, Praising and Motivating Students
- Transition and Transfer Programmes
- Social and Emotional Literacy
- Positive Health and Wellbeing
- Solution Focused Approaches to Behaviour Improvement.
- Restorative Approaches
- Skills for Success in School
- Homework Interventions
- Tutor Training
- Conflict Resolution
- Communication Skills
- Check and Connect Interventions
- Strategies for Teaching the Difficult Class