Welcome to the French department.
There are two of us in the department: Ms McGuirk, and Ms Daly. We have French classes in every year: first to sixth year.
We prepare our students for the Junior Cycle and Leaving Certificate exams.
Why study French? Here are just a few reasons………
- It is one of our nearest neighbours and it is easily accessible by boat from Rosslare.
- France is the world’s major tourist destination (82 million tourists a year)
- French is the most widely taught second language after English.
- French is one of the official languages of the United Nations.
- France is Europe’s foremost investor abroad.
- France is in 4th position in terms of world power.
- French is the official language of the International Red Cross & one of the two official languages at the Olympic Games.
- French-speaking Africa represents an area larger than the USA.
- French is a major language of high tech and business in the world.
- Over 20,000 English words have their origins in French
- PARIS in considered the capital of the world in terms of quality of life (Healey and Baker 1991).
- There are 43 good reasons to speak French! French is spoken in over 43 countries in the world.